Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Singing Nonsense

You've probably heard it as often as I had: Children can learn languages easier when they're younger. I didn't understand why until I read How to Teach Your Baby to Read. I will expand on all of those interesting points in another post. For now, I just had to record this recent experiment.

I've always wanted to learn a second language (I don't have much to show for three years of High School German-though it may not be my fault or my teacher's!) When Jake learned Portugese I thought it would be neat to learn it too. I learned some simple vocabulary but have forgotten all but a few words. The book suggests that a young child can be learning up to five different languages.

We don't know the technicalities of the language program yet, but we decided to start teaching Ellie a song in Portugese. Imagine my thrill when a few days later she burst into song on her own--phrases that I didn't know, and if anything, had more exposure to the song than she did (from previous years). Last week it happened again. We sang the song a few times during the week and on the way to church. I was having a hard time absorbing it and kept asking Jake to slow down. Sunday evening Ellie started singing again-a phrase I didn't remember.

Jake pointed out that she is likely just listening to sounds, not worried about perfection. And I think he's right. What she was saying sounded like nonsense, but I suppose all foreign language does at first. It wasn't articulate but they were indeed Portugese words. I thought about what the book said--its kind of fun to have a real person to experiment with. I'm excited next to learn about how to start additional languages.

1 comment:

  1. The value of learning other languages at a young age is extremely significant. Children have the ability to learn languages easily and develop competences so that they can understand and communicate easily from with use of glenn doman flash cards.

    ReplyDelete