Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm Learning Too

Oops! I made some errors. The article I found definitely didn't suffice-I wish I had the book sooner than I did. Oh well. My two biggest errors.

  1. I should have been showing Ellie many more flashcards than I was.
  2. I wasn't supposed to test-in the form that I was.

It now seems clear about showing more cards. Especially after seeing a new set of cards (family members) and having them all down by the SECOND time of seeing them. As far as the testing, the book goes into detail about why testing shouldn't be done. While I can understand the reasoning of making a child feel set up for failure, when we had quizzed her, she seemed to love showing us what she knew?

Book read, better weeks ahead.

Today I introduced a color and she wanted "green" and "orange" as well. So we also threw those in.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing these!! My mistakes that I've been making is that I've been showing her more than five at a time, and I've been quizzing her too. Oops! But she LOVES to say them. I even told her the other day, Avery, just listen when I say the words, don't say them. And she argued that she wanted to say the words. The problem is that she's wrong half of the time (she loves to guess when she doesn't know) and I'm worried that she will start to use her words as her association with the words and that she won't learn them. One step at a time. I'm off to make a schedule of our days and pencil in the different reading sessions. Thanks for this blog, I'll subscribe right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children can understand and communicate language very quick and easily form with use of "flash cards for kids", because they are quick learner.

    ReplyDelete